All GIRL Camps are funded by various sponsors and attendance is FREE for camp participants. In addition, camp participants are eligible for the Girl’s Leadership Award
|The C-STEM GIRL Camps are focused on
The curriculum is focused on:
- Principles of Engineering
- Programming in C
- Film Production
- Women in IT
At the end of the camp, students create a multimedia presentation of their creation, similar to the RoboPlay Video Competition, and present it to parents and peers.
A camper working on her group’s robot video project
In addition, students learn important life skills including:
- Presentation skills
- Leadership skills
- Building confidence
- Breaking gender stereotypes
Each camp will have 20 middle school girls entering 7th or 8th grade in the coming Fall, who
- have a strong academic record
- exhibit strong leadership skills
- have had exposure to computing or robotics or have a strong interest
- can pick up new material quickly
Camp Assistant Coaches
Each camp will have two high school girls (including graduating seniors) to serve as Assistant Coach. The Assistant Coach positions are not paid.
Each camp has two Coaches. Each Coach will be compensated with $500 for the week. They should:
- be in college
- have experience with robotics and programming
- work well with young girls
- be willing to attend training sessions during the summer
Each camp has a female teacher to serve as a mentor and coordinator. She will be paid at the district standard rate for the week.
Interested in hosting a GIRL Camp for girls in your area?
If you are interested in hosting a GIRL Camp, please check out C-STEM GIRL Camp Affiliate Program.
Funding is available for NCWIT AspireIT applicants to host C-STEM GIRL camps. If you are AspireIT applicants, you can borrow robotics equipment from the C-STEM Center for hosting your GIRL camp.
A GIRL Camp success story
Testimonials from previous camp attendees
- -“Before this program, I didn’t know anything about robotics. Now, I feel confident about programming. I would like to learn more.”
- “I really enjoyed the camp and would like to be an assistant coach in a few years so I can help other girls who want to establish a future in robotics too.”
- “I want to go to our school and teach others now what I have learned at this amazing camp.”
- “It was so much fun and I learned a lot. Coming in, I didn’t know anything, now know so much about coding”
- -“I probably would have never known how to program computer[s] without this program and now I’m more confident about programming computers.”
- -“I feel that I am a bit more computer smart.”
- -“The C-STEM robotics camp increased my confidence.”
- -“If I hadn’t have taken this program I would never be interested in computer science.”
- -“I wanted to be a math teacher but after this program I want to be a computer scientist.”
- -“Before this program, I wanted to be in the field of genetics, now, I want to get into technology.”
- -“I thought I wanted to be an engineer that builds bridges and buildings, now I am interested in computer science.”
- -“…wanted to be something else when I grew up, but now I want to work with programming.”
- -“After this camp I realized that robotics is a lot easier than I thought, so I think i’ll try to join the robotics club at my school this year.”
- –“I like the filming project because i really enjoy working with other campers and making my thoughts come to life.”
- -“This camp has made coding and robotics a lot more fun.”
- –“Before GIRL Camp I didn’t like coding at all and now I actually really enjoy coding.”
- -“All the coaches and assistant coaches were extremely helpful. If I had trouble doing something, the coach or assistant coach was ready to help whenever. They were supportive and overall helpful! I definitely wouldn’t have learned as much without them!”
- -“This was a great experience for me. I really enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. This encouraged me to some day become an engineer.”
Testimonials from parents
- -“On our way to camp yesterday morning, [my daughter] told me from the back seat straight, ‘Mommy, I want to study science’. My eyes started to tear a bit as she was never so sure about herself in STEM. The fact that she could say that is a great milestone for her self-awareness and confidence building in the subject.”
- -“I wish [the camp] was longer. It was a great experience.”
- -“[My daughter] enjoyed meeting new girls and working with them in a safe environment.”
For More information on GIRL Camp, Click on the link below to download a submitted conference paper about the C-STEM GIRL camp:
GIRL Camps in the News
The GIRL camp is funded by the NSF, NCWIT, UC Davis College of Engineering, and UC Davis University Outreach and International Programs.