2014 Girls in Robotics Leadership (GIRL) Camps
August 4 – August 8, 2014, 8am – 5pm
UC Davis C-STEM Center
The C-STEM GIRL Camps, held on college campuses, are focused on motivating girls in middle school to learn computing and STEM concepts through a fun and exciting robotics-based curriculum. We hope this leadership camp will enable them to serve as leaders and inspire other young girls to gain interest in science and technology through creating robotics clubs on their school campus and participating in the RoboPlay Competition on the C-STEM Day. The camp participants are eligible for the Girl’s Leadership Award.
An article “Jr. high students learn to program like girls” about this camp has been published by Davis Enterprise.
Below are some of the pictures taken during the GIRL Camp showing the various activities the attendees experienced. More pictures can be found in the 2014 GIRL Camp folder on our flickr page.
Application for Camp Participants, Coaches, and Assistant Coaches:
We are recruiting 20 middle school girls entering 7th or 8th grade in the Fall 2014 who:
- have a strong academic record
- have exhibited leadership skills
- have had exposure to computing or robotics or have a strong interest
- can pick up new material quickly
- are willing to try to start a computing & robotics club or participating in an existing club in their own middle schools and teach other girls their age
- We prefer to recruit two girls from the same middle school to build the program.
- For girls coming from a school that does not already have Linkbots, they may borrow three Linkbots for the coming school year to help start their club.
Registration Fee: $295 (A need-based half/full scholarship will be available to students in the free-lunch or reduced-fee lunch program to cover the registration cost)
(Bring your own lunches. One lunch at the UC Davis Student Dining Commons will be provided)
Camp Participant Application (For all C-STEM events, you must first register for the website before you can register for the event. Then login and go the the “GIRL Camp Student Application” tab on the Registered Users Subsite.) Applications are due August 3, 2014.
Have expertise in the field and interested in helping with the camp? Apply to be a coach!
- be in college
- have experience with robotics and programming
- work well with young girls
- be willing to attend training sessions during the summer
Coaches will be compensated with $400 for the week.
Coach Application (now closed)
Camp Assistant Coaches
Girls in high school who would like to be involved in the camp may apply to be assistant coaches. Assistant coach positions are not paid.
Assistant Coach Application (For all C-STEM events, you must first register for the website before you can register for the event. Then login and go the the “GIRL Camp Assistant Coach Application” tab on the Registered Users Subsite.) Applications are due June 4, 2014.
Questions? Comments? Don’t want to be a coach but would still like to help out? Contact us!
The GIRL camp is funded by the NSF, NCWIT, Symantec, and UC Davis Outreach and International Program.