2015 C-STEM Girls in Robotics Leadership (GIRL) Camps
The C-STEM GIRL Camps are focused on motivating girls in middle school through peer mentoring to learn computing and STEM concepts through a fun and exciting robotics-based curriculum. We hope this leadership camp will enable them to serve as leaders and inspire other young girls to gain interest in science and technology through creating robotics clubs on their school campus and participating in the RoboPlay Competition on the C-STEM Day. All GIRL Camps are funded by various sponsors and free for camp participants. In addition, the camp participants are eligible for the Girl’s Leadership Award.
C-STEM GIRL Camp Sites:
UC Davis Site:
GIRL Camp Director: Dr. Harry H. Cheng, C-STEM Center Director and Professor
C-STEM GIRL Camp Mentor: Heidi Espindola, C-STEM Program Manager
Coaches: Muntaha Samad, University of California, Davis; Alex Bittle, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Location: 1062 Bainer Hall and 2121A Bainer Hall, UC Davis campus
Date: July 27-July 31, 2015
Contact: Muntaha Samad <email@example.com>
Site Sponsors: National Science Foundation, UC Davis University Outreach and International Programs, College of Engineering, NCWIT AspireIT K-12 Outreach Program
Flyer for the GIRL Camp at UC Davis
Mt. Diablo Site:
C-STEM GIRL Camp Affiliate Director: Rose Lock, Assistant Superintendent, Mt. Diablo Unified School District
C-STEM GIRL Camp Mentor: Shauna Hawes, Technology Teacher, Valley View Middle School
Location: Valley View Middle School, Room D8, 181 Viking Drive, Pleasant Hill
Date: June 15-19, 2015
Contact: Shauna Hawes <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Site Sponsors: Mt. Diablo Unified School District, Patrick and Shirley Campbell Foundation
Flyer for the GIRL Camp at Mt. Diablo Site
San Leandro Site:
C-STEM GIRL Camp Affiliate Director: Joanne Clark, Director of Secondary Ed for San Leandro USD
C-STEM GIRL Camp Mentor: Morgan Mack-Rose, Executive Director for the San Leandro Education Foundation
Location: San Leandro High School, 2200 Bancroft Ave, San Leandro, CA 94577
Date: June 22nd – July 2nd (Monday-Thurs, No Fridays)
Time: 8:00 am -12:00 pm
Contact: Morgan Mack-Rose<email@example.com>
Flyer for the GIRL Camp at San Leandro Site
California Head Coach:
Muntaha Samad, University of California, Davis
We are recruiting 20 middle school girls entering 7th or 8th grade in the Fall 2015 who:
- have a strong academic record
- exhibit strong leadership skills
- have had exposure to computing or robotics or have a strong interest
- can pick up new material quickly
Registration Fee for Participation: FREE (Space Limited).
(Lunch will not be provided.)
Camp Assistant Coaches
Girls in high school who would like to be involved in the camp may apply to be assistant coaches. Assistant coach positions are not paid.
Questions? Comments? Don’t want to be a coach but would still like to help out? Contact us!
Have expertise in the field and interested in helping with the camp? Apply to be a coach!
- be in college
- have experience with robotics and programming
- work well with young girls
- be willing to attend training sessions during the summer
Coaches will be compensated with $500 for the week.
- For all C-STEM events, you must first register for the site before you can register for the event.
- Then login and go to the “GIRL Camp” tab on the Registered Users Subsite.
- Here you will find links for applications
- All applications require a recommendation from a teacher/community member. Teacher Recommendation Form DO NOT EDIT THIS FORM IN A BROWSER, AS IT WILL NOT SAVE CHANGES. SAVE IT TO YOUR COMPUTER AND OPEN IT IN A PDF READER. Please send this form to firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicant’s name as the subject
- All applications also require transcripts. Please send these to email@example.com with the applicant’s name as the subject.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2015.
The GIRL camp is funded by the NSF, NCWIT, UC Davis College of Engineering, and UC Davis University Outreach and International Programs.