All GIRL+ Camps in different regions are funded by various sponsors and attendance is FREE for camp participants. Camp participants are eligible for the Girl’s Leadership Award.
|The 1-week C-STEM GIRL+ Camps are focused on
|The GIRL+ curriculum is focused on:
In addition, students learn important life skills including:
At the end of the camp, student teams create a multimedia presentation of their creation, including a video for RoboPlay Video Competition, and present it to parents and peers. The teacher mentor and coaches will select up to two best videos from the presentations for possible submission to participate in the next year’s RoboPlay Video Competition.
Each camp will have 20 high school girls entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in the coming Fall, who
- have a strong academic record
- exhibit strong leadership skills
- have had exposure to computing or robotics or have a strong interest
- can pick up new material quickly
Each camp has two Coaches. Each Coach will be compensated with $500 for the week. They should:
- be in college
- have experience with robotics, programming, and video editing
- work well with young girls
- be willing to attend a 1-day on-line training session on a Saturday in late spring or early summer.
Each camp has a female teacher or staff to serve as a mentor and coordinator. She will be paid at the district standard rate for the week.
Each camp will use a set of Arduino kits, Linkbot or Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3, or combination, as well as virtual Linkbot and Mindstorms NXT/EV3 in RoboSim and RoboBlockly. Most C-STEM schools/districts shall already have these robotics equipment.
GIRL + Camp in the News!
GIRL+ Camp Testimonials:
- “I’ve seen not only in myself but also in all of the other girls, their confidence grew so much as they’re learning about this code. It’s great to see these people change in front of you over the course of one short week.”
- “It definitely made me think about how I really wanted to do this [STEM] and that it wasn’t just a random idea that I get.”
- “Thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate in this awesome program! I’ll never forget this experience, especially that one key piece of advice to simply go for it!”
- “I really enjoyed this camp and I think it’s a really important program for getting more girls interested in C STEM and robotics. Thank you for creating this camp!”
Interested in hosting a GIRL+ Camp for girls in your area?
To sustain and expand the GIRL/GIRL+ Camp program, the Center seeks endowment funding and support from federal and state funding agencies, foundations, corporations, and individuals. If you are interested in making a contribution, seeking joint funding opportunities, or having any ideas for raising funds for GIRL/GIRL+, please contact us.