C-STEM 2-Day Academy on Integrated Computing and STEM Education
The C-STEM 2-Day Academy on Integrated Computing and STEM Education in various regions will provide K-14 teachers with hands-on experience on how to use freely available C-STEM Studio and RoboBlockly, as well as C-STEM Math-ICT curriculum with interactive computing, programming, and robotics that aligns with the Common Core Math and ICT Sector standards to develop students’ 21st century problem-solving skills and better prepare students for college and careers. The academy is targeted at K-14 classroom STEM teachers, as well as math/CTE/Science coordinators, who are interested in bringing hands-on computing, and virtual and hardware Linkbot and/or Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 robots on :
- Integrating computing and robotics into Math 5, Math 6, Math 7, math 8, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Integrated Math I, II, III to solve real-world problems with Common Core State Standards — Math.
- Integrating creative writing, story-telling, art, music, film production with math, programming, and robotics with a final product for C-STEM RoboPlay Video Competition into Career Technical Education (CTE)
- Integrating computer programming with computational thinking, engineering, and robotics into science education with Next Generation Science Standards
- Offering computer programming and/or robotics courses in your school
- Offering computer programming and/or robotics in afterschool or summer programs in your school, district, or county
- Providing computing education utilizing user-friendly RoboBlockly, industrial standard computer programming in C/C++ interpreter Ch, and innovative Barobo Linkbot or popular Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3
- Implementing new teaching strategies and opportunities for personalized and collaborative learning through hands-on activities
- Adopting Common Core State Standards Math compliant curricula with computing [and robotics]
- Developing students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Working to close the achievement gap and preparing students to be college and career ready
- Working with gifted students to challenge them to solve real-world problems
- Working with at-risk students to engage them hands-on learning and excited to come to school every day
- Programming existing Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 using RoboBlockly, Ch Mindstorms Controller, and C/C++ interpreter Ch for more effective teaching and learning robotics, computing, science, technology, engineering, and math.
Testimonials from Previous 2-Day Academy Participants
“Simply the best staff development training I have ever been to. In my experience, practicing classroom teachers always give the best advice, and the UC Davis C-STEM program offers this.”
–Doug Obrigawitch – Math Teacher and Department Chair, Manteca High School
“Very well planned out to accommodate the beginner to advanced skill sets”
–Mike Pelland – Math Teacher, Mt. Eden High School
Cost: $300/teacher due one week before the Academy. Register here.
- Payment for the training has to be done by check or PO pay to “The Regents of the University of California (UC Davis C-STEM)”.
- We must have received your payment one week before instruction has begun in order for you to be able to participate. Checks can be brought in person in the morning of the first day of instruction, 30 minutes before the instruction.
- Registration covers instruction, teaching materials, a license for Ch Professional Edition for a laptop of the registered participant till July 31, and lunch. Other meals, transportation, and lodging are not included.
- A Laptop running Windows XP or higher or Mac OS 10.7 or higher is necessary during the training. Please bring a laptop with you for participation in the academy. You must have administrative privileges on the laptop to install software.
- No refunds after instruction begins. Any cancellations must be received in writing one week prior to the start of instruction.
- Each Participant will receive a supplementary booklet.
- Linkbot robots and accessories will be provided during the training.
- Attendees will receive a certificate of recognition as a C-STEM Certified Educator.
- Optional Continuing Education Unit quarter credits with additional free from UC Davis Extension are available for professional development conducted at UC Davis.
- Certificate of Professional Development Credit hours upon training completion.
Interested in hosting a C-STEM 2-Day Academy in your area?
If your county office of education or school district would like to host an academy for STEM teachers in your region, please contact us.
C-STEM Certified Trainers