Summer Academy on Hands-On, Integrating Robotics into Math, CS, and STEAM Education for K-6 Teachers
This summer academy is designed to provide K-6 teachers with the knowledge and experience necessary to incorporate hands-on and interactive activities in their daily classroom curriculum. This session will guide teachers through supporting their students as they are learning math, art, music, and science by demonstrating concepts and ideas through coding and robotics examples using RoboBlockly, a user-friendly web-based coding and robotics environment.
This academy is open to any K-6 teachers. No prior experience is necessary!
Attendees will learn:
- Block-based coding through RoboBlockly
- Teaching pedagogy and strategies for integrating coding and robotics into math, science and engineering curriculum.
- How to support the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Computer Science (CS) Standards using the C-STEM Math-ICT Curriculum with interactive coding, robotics, and physical computing activities.
- How to reinforce mathematical concepts with practical applications via hands-on computing and robotics activities.
- How to develop students’ logical reasoning and critical thinking skills through tangible coding and robotics exercises.
- Interactive methods for supporting students learning art and music through step-by-step algorithmic practice.
- Create your classes in RoboBlockly Classroom Management System for enrolling students, creating homework, grading homework, etc.
- Share homework assignment, and classes with others.
- Introduction to Physical Computing using the simplest platform for Arduino
- Introduction to electronics and circuits, and programming Arduino board
- How to use RGB LED with Arduino to learn colors, timing, traffic signals, science, and math.
In addition, participants will get to explore CCSS-Compliant Math curriculum including:
- Kindergarten Math with Coding and Robotics Activities
- Math 1-6 with Coding and Robotics Activities
- Introduction to Physical Computing
In order to participate in this workshop, participants must have the following equipment. Note that participants may either purchase the complete kits with their registration or use their existing components.
- A Windows, Mac, or Chromebook computer is necessary during this training.
- You need to download and install the latest C-STEM Software:
- You need to prior to the start of training.
You must have administrative privileges on the laptop to install software.
- Cost: $500 / teacher. Space is limited. Check our Professional Development schedule and register soon to reserve your spot.
- Registration covers instruction and teaching materials. Other meals, transportation, and lodging are not included.
- Attendees will receive a certificate of recognition as a C-STEM Certified Educator.
- Optional $145 for 2-4 Continuing Education Unit quarter credits from UC Davis Extension are available to participants of the full week.
- Certificate of Professional Development Credit hours upon training completion.
Testimonials from Participants of C-STEM PD
The trainers did an amazing job taking very divergent topics (programming, robotics, math) and making it all very accessible for me. It all came together.Glen Warren, McPherson Magnet, Orange Unified School District, CA
I was over the moon with all of the free curriculum and programs. Very well designed! I absolutely loved all the activities! They were helpful in that I get to experience what students will be doing.Sara DeCuir, Hanford Elementary School District, CA
If you are interested in this summer institute, please contact us.